A Guggenheim Grant Fellow and contributing photographer to National Geographic, Maggie Steber is an internationally known documentary photographer whose work has appeared in major magazines, newspapers and book anthologies as well as national and international exhibitions. She has worked in 70 countries specializing in stories concerning the human condition. Her photographs are included in the American Women Collection at the Library of Congress, the Guggenheim Foundation, and the Richter Library.More Details
Steber was named as one of 11 Women of Vision by National Geographic Magazine, Steber has worked as a picture editor for Associated Press, a contract photographer for Newsweek Magazine, and as the Director of Photography at The Miami Herald. She is a member of VII Photo Agency.
Her photographs are included in the Library of Congress, Richter Collection, and private collections. She has received four grants in support of her work and numerous awards including:
- 2019 The Photographer’s Photographer from National Geographic Magazine
- 2017-2018 Guggenheim Foundation Fellow
- 2015 National Geographic Magazine Woman of Vision
- 2007 Knight Foundation grant for New American Newspaper Project
- 2003 Medal of Honor for Contribution to Journalism, University of Missouri
- 2001 Pulitzer Prize for Miami Herald coverage of Elian Gonzalez story
- First Prize Spot News World Press Photo Foundation for Haiti
- The Leica Medal of Excellence, 1988
- Olivier Rebbot Award from the Overseas Press Club
- Recipient Alicia Patterson Foundation Grant
- Recipient Ernst Haas Photography Grant
Clients include National Geographic Magazine, the New Yorker, The New York Times Magazine, Aperture Quarterly, Fortune, Smithsonian, People Magazine, Time Magazine, Stern of Germany, Newsweek Magazine, U.S. News and World Report, CARE, , Der Spiegel, DU Magazine of Switzerland, Merian Magazine of Germany, The Independent in Bitain, and French Geo, as well as many others. She teaches workshops through the Leica Akademie USA as well as at various International festivals.