Now available for the Leica SL-System: new Firmware Update 3.0 with extensive improvements for an even better workflow
Firmware version 3.0 is now available free of charge for the Leica SL-System. The update significantly reduces the time required for saving RAW data files to SD memory cards. The speed, accuracy and handling of the autofocus system have been considerably improved. The firmware update also includes updates for the Leica Vario-Elmarit–SL 24–90 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. and the Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280 mm f/2.8-4. lenses. The range of functions in photo and video modes as been comprehensively expanded. Independent of this new firmware, updates are also available for the Leica Image Shuttle software (Mac; Win), the Adobe®Lightroom® Tethered Plugin (Mac; Win) and the Leica SL App (iOS; Android).
Faster saving of image files
The time formerly required for saving files has been reduced by up to 35%. This means that the buffer memory of the camera is cleared more rapidly and is ready for use again much sooner – this is particularly noticeable in continuous shooting mode.
Greater convenience and more options for shooting still pictures and video
Video and photo exposure settings can now be made independently and no longer need to be adapted when switching from one mode to the other. This is not only more convenient, it also speeds up the workflow and makes it more fluid. Photos can now be captured exclusively with the electronic shutter. This enables completely silent exposures in a shutter speed range from 1s to 1/16000s.
The firmware update also includes the following additions and optimisations:
- An option for saving DNG and JPEG files separately on different memory cards (e.g. DNG to SD1 and JPEG to SD2).
- A new video mode: Ultra HD at a frame rate of 24 frames per second (3840x2160 px@24 fps).
- The ‘Flash’ option in white balance has been optimised for use with studio flash systems.
- Improved display of exposures in LiveView when using manual exposure.
- The last magnification location of the loupe function is now saved to enable more intuitive handling.
- Aperture and shutter speed settings can now be assigned to either the front or the rear dials.
- In AF Tracking mode, the AF point can be assigned either to a fixed starting position or will vary depending on the previously utilised selection.
- Pressing the AE/AF button once can be used to make a six-times magnification of the portion of the being viewed.
- Direct joystick control of audio levels now possible.
In total, the new firmware update brings 31 improvements to the photo and video functions.
The firmware update is available both from the Leica website (https://www.leica-camera.com) and after logging in to the Leica Owners’ Area (https://owners.leica-camera.com). Users can either download and install the update themselves or have it installed within the scope of the free update service offered in all Leica Stores.
About Leica Camera
Leica Camera AG is an internationally operating, premium-segment manufacturer of cameras and sport optics products. The legendary status of the Leica brand is founded on a long tradition of excellence in the construction of lenses. And today, in combination with innovative technologies, Leica products continue to guarantee better pictures in all situations in the worlds of visualisation and perception. Leica Camera AG has its headquarters in Wetzlar, in the state of Hesse in Germany, and a second production site in Vila Nova de Famalicão, Portugal. The company operates branch offices in Australia, China, France, Italy, Japan, Switzerland, Singapore, South Korea, UK and the USA. New and innovative products have been the driving force behind the company’s positive development in recent years.