202011/26/2020 37th Leitz Photographica Auction: Leica lens achieves world-record bidding price At the auction on November 21, 2020, the prototype of the Vario-Elmar-M 28–75mm f/3.5–5.6 ASPH. (lot no. 271) reached a bid price of 240,000 euros incl. premium – making it the most expensive Leica lens ever sold at an auction! The auctioned lens is one of only three existing Vario-Elmar-M lenses. It was intended as a universal lens to replace the Tri-Elmar 28-35-50. However, the project was abandoned due to the complexity of the mechanical and optical design. Only three lenses met the high standards of the Leica engineers and were completed.
- 11/24/2020 MYKITA and Leica Camera AG introduce the next chapter in its partnership In spring earlier this year, Leica Camera AG and MYKITA announced their substantial new partnership dedicated to bringing the highest level of German engineering to the world of eyewear. The launch collection already received the Red Dot Award for best Product Design 2020. The two respective industry leaders now present their next instalment – a line of optical models that builds on the honest, functional design and uncompromising quality established by the debut collection of sunglasses. All MYKITA | LEICA eyewear will be available in stores and online from November 2020.
- 11/10/2020 Leica Q2 Monochrom: The only full frame compact camera with dedicated monochrome sensor Leica Camera AG presents the Leica Q2 Monochrom – the next-generation model of the Leica Q line of cameras. With a newly developed full-frame monochrome sensor, a fast Leica Summilux 28 mm f/1.7 ASPH. prime lens, fast and precise autofocus and OLED viewfinder technology, the new model not only continues the performance features of the Q2, but also defines new quality standards in black and white photography.
- 10/26/2020 Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2020 Award Ceremony On Thursday evening, Leica Camera AG honoured the Italian photographer Luca Locatelli, and the Portuguese photographer Gonçalo Fonseca, during an award ceremony that took place at Leica Headquarters in Wetzlar, Germany. For the first time, 65 eminent photography experts from around the world have proposed a group of LOBA nominees. From among the nominees submitted, the members of the international jury had previously chosen eighteen finalists. This year marks the 40th anniversary of the renowned award. On the occasion of this jubilee, the comprehensive 40 Years of Leica Oskar Barnack Award exhibition was opened yesterday evening at the Ernst Leitz Museum Wetzlar.
The winners of the Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2020 have been chosen
In the main category of the Leica Oskar Barnack Award, it was the Italian photographer Luca Locatelli, whose series Future Studies convinced the five-person jury. He was nominated by Alice Gabriner, Photo Editor, USA.The Leica Oskar Barnack Award in the Newcomer category, for photographers up to the age of 30, goes to the Portuguese photographer Gonçalo Fonseca, for his New Lisbon series. He was nominated by Silvia Omedes, Curator and Photo Editor, Spain.
- 10/15/2020 Leica Camera AG and WhiteWall announce collaboration Leica Camera AG and WhiteWall have announced a collaboration between the two companies. In future, the premium products of the prominent and multi-award winning photo lab will also be available in selected Leica Stores around the world. Leica customers will then be able to enjoy the benefits of the extensive portfolios of both companies and a comprehensive range of premium photographic products and services, from expert advice and services to ready-to-hang final prints, all from a central location.
- 10/07/2020 37th Leitz Photographica Auction: Voigtländer Daguerreotype camera 1840 – One of the most sophisticated constructions from the early days of photography is being sold by auction At the 37th Camera Auction of the renowned auction house "Leitz Photographica Auction" many important specimens of camera history as well as special collector's items are once again being sold by auction. More than 400 lots, as always, a large percentage of the items come from the company Leitz/Leica, mean that exciting bidding wars are to be expected once more.
- 09/29/2020 40 Years of LOBA – The exhibition at the Ernst Leitz Museum Wetzlar The exhibition represents a wonderful opportunity to look back over forty years of Leica Oskar Barnack Awards: touching and evocative stories, exciting rediscoveries and new encounters, with a great variety of perspectives! This exhibition offers a clear testimony to the visual richness of the LOBA winner and newcomer series over four decades, and present photojournalism in all its diversity and constant changes.
Exclusive binocular design: Supreme®/Leica Ultravid 8x20 binocular
For its fall 2020 collection, the US brand Supreme® is presenting for the first time a Leica Camera product in the design typical of the New York brand: the Leica Ultravid 8x20 binoculars.The binoculars, designed exclusively for Supreme®, are fully covered with red rubber armor and bear the Supreme logo on both sides of the housing. The Supreme®/Leica Ultravid 8x20 binoculars were manufactured by Leica in a limited edition of 182 pieces and will be available exclusively at Supreme® sales channels from September 2020 on.
- 09/24/2020 Leica V-Lux 5 Explorer Kit: From today, the ideal camera for travel, sport and outdoor photography is available as a set The Leica V-Lux 5, the universal compact camera for travel, wildlife and sports photography, is on sale in a set with additional accessories. Alongside the camera, this set includes a system bag from the Billingham ‘Hadley’ collection – the ‘Hadley Digital, Imperial Blue Canvas / Tan Leather’. The robust bag is distinguished by its style and functionality. With its cleverly designed features and waterproof materials, it offers optimum protection and ample space for the safe stowage of the camera kit.