201605/24/2016 Submission phase of the prestigious international competition ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’ recently closed with a record number of entries In the course of the new alignment and revitalisation of the long-established traditions of the ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’, the twelve finalists in the categories ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Award’ and ‘Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award’ will be able to look forward to a rather special award-giving ceremony: The international photographic competition, held every year since 1979, is returning to Germany. The announcement of the winners of both categories will take place on 28 September 2016 in the course of a gala event and exhibition opening in Berlin.
- 05/10/2016 Leica Rarities and Historical Camera Technology: Focus of the 29th WestLicht Camera Auction Once again, the WestLicht Auction House in Vienna offers numerous rarities of the Leitz/Leica brands at its upcoming camera auction, starting at 11 am on June 11, 2016. Among the highlights of the auction lots are the Leica M3 with the serial number 700004, built in 1954. The camera, still in its original condition, is the 4th M camera produced in series; after the M3 No. 700001, previously auctioned by WestLicht for € 900,000, it is the earliest M3 known to exist. This recently-discovered camera is estimated to fetch € 50,000 to € 60,000.
- 05/03/2016 Leica partners with Photo London 2016 Leica Camera AG today announced that it has become an Official Partner of the second annual Photo London fair, which takes place from 19-22 May 2016 at Somerset House, London. As part of this special collaboration, which sees Leica partnering with Photo London for the first time, the company will present an outstanding body of international photography entitled ‘Alex Webb: Selections’, which incorporates a collection of powerful, intense colour street photographs by the renowned Magnum photographer, and has been personally chosen by Webb for the prestigious event.
- 05/02/2016 LEICA SL voted the ‘Best Premium Camera’ at the 2016 TIPA Awards The Leica SL mirrorless camera system has been honoured with the 2016 TIPA Award as the ‘Best Premium Camera’. Launched in October 2015, the Leica SL convinced an international jury of editors from leading photographic magazines with the new standards it sets in terms of speed, imaging performance, versatility and innovation in best Leica quality. The presentation of the TIPA Awards, now in its 26th year, will take place on 20 September 2016 in the course of the photokina fair in Cologne.
- 04/29/2016 New firmware updates for Leica M cameras are now available Leica Camera AG has released new firmware updates for the current models of the Leica M family. Registered camera owners can now download firmware version 126.96.36.199 for the Leica M/M-P (Typ 240), firmware version 188.8.131.52 for the Leica M (Typ 262) and firmware version 184.108.40.206 for the Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) from the Leica website (www.leica-camera.com) or take their camera to a Leica Store for a free update and receive answers to any questions they may have.
- 04/28/2016 LEICA M-D – the new digital Leica rangefinder without a monitor screen With the Leica M-D (Typ 262), Leica Camera AG adds a further model to the Leica rangefinder system. Together with the Leica M and M-P (Typ 240), the Leica M (Typ 262) and the Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246), this increases the number of digital M-Generation cameras to five. The Leica M-D is the first serial production model of the digital M family to be made without a monitor screen. The usual location of the screen on the back of the camera is now taken by the ISO sensitivity setting dial – one of the few, but essential, features of the camera.
- 04/15/2016 Leica Galleries donating all profits from Lenny Kravitz FLASH exhibition to nonprofit organization 100Cameras The Leica Galleries, Lenny Kravitz, Berlin-based art advisor and international agent Reiner Opoku and Ostlicht Gallery in Vienna, Austria are donating $25,000 in proceeds from the Lenny Kravitz – FLASH exhibit to 100Cameras, a nonprofit organization teaching marginalized children from across the globe to create change in their community through photography. The FLASH exhibit, which was on display during the December Art Basel Miami Beach fair, included a selection of 50 photographs taken by Kravitz with his Leica camera. The profits from the exhibit will be donated to 100Cameras to help support their next international project, Project006, and the organization’s Snapshot Project platform.
- 04/15/2016 Leica Cine Discovery Prize for newcomers in the world of short films Leica Camera AG is an official partner of La Semaine de la Critique du Festival de Cannes (taking place from 11 to 22 May 2016), one of the most influential film festivals in the world. Leica Camera AG and its subsidiary CW Sonderoptic GmbH are official sponsors of the Leica Cine Discovery Prize, which will be awarded as part of La Semaine de la Critique on 19 May and is endowed with a prize in the amount of 4,000 euros. With this prize, the two companies recognise young talents to the world of short films.
- 04/14/2016 New firmware update 2.0 improves the performance and handling concept of the Leica SL The firmware update 2.0 is now available for the mirrorless Leica SL camera system launched in October 2015. Registered camera owners can log in to the Leica Owner’s Area (https://owners.leica-camera.com) and download the new firmware or take advantage of the opportunity to have their camera brought up to date by the free update installation service offered in all Leica Stores.
- 04/13/2016 Leica Pinmaster II Pro Leica Sport Optics has announced a brand new, premium model in its iconic laser rangefinder series designed specifically for golfers: the Leica Pinmaster II Pro.